Thursday, May 31, 2012

summer schedule

As you know, summer break (summer vacation) is in full swing around here. Normally it is just that, a vacation...for the first day, that is. But it is never long before I hear, "I'm bored." "There is nothing to do." "Can we go to mamaw's?" Then our "vacation" ends and the arguing begins.

I had decided awhile ago that I was going to do things differently this summer. I feel like after 9 months of getting up early, going off to school for 8 hours and schedules that summertime should be a time where we can ALL (that includes me) relax, maybe sleep in some, do a little bit of nothing (especially after the year I had with Hannah). But who am I kidding? Is any of that even possible with three kids? I'm finding out it isn't. So I started thinking about schedules, chores, and activites we can do this summer to keep us all busy with fun things but also get the things done that need done and maybe get alittle relaxation in also.

Normally our schedule is made for us bc of school. So scheduling the days' activities is a new thing for me. I like just going with the flow but for my kids that would involve sitting in front of an electronic all day. And I'm not having it. But I didn't really know what to do. I knew the things I wanted in the schedule (chores, worksheets, quiet time, a bike ride (yes, that is on the schedule every morning), outside time and even a crafty time (the kids have been begging me to get out the moonsand) but that was about it.

But the Lord has a strange way of helping us out when we need Him. This morning I was up quite awhile before the kids and since Abigail has been sick, I decided I better get a head start on the laundry that was piled in the chair in our room. So I pulled up my Focus on the Family app (which I HIGHLY recommend) and scrolled through the recent broadcasts to find something to listen to while I did laundry. I ended up picking "Summer survival tips for parents." What a help it was! I got a lot of great ideas. So now I am pretty excited to start a schedule and not hear "I'm bored" every single day.

Happy summer!!

1 comment:

  1. I always planned things too. Still do. Free movies, pool, park, playdates with friends and make them help you with the housework. I always said, "okay if you guys want to do something fun, we have to do 'this' first. Whatever 'this' is. Hannah is old enough to help folding or sorting laundry. Ryan can probably empty trash cans. Clean up their rooms. They both could empty the dishwasher. One time I did a pudding "fight" out in the backyard! I bought one of those giant cans of pudding from sams, put it outside and let them have at it! They slung it on eachother and everywhere, painted themselves with it, etc. They I took the water hose and sprayed them off when they were done! We did fingerpainting outside too. Playdoh on the picnic table outside. Then all of the mess is OUT not IN. Have a great summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete