Wednesday, November 18, 2009

de ja vu (is that how you spell it?!)






I have been debating about blogging for a few days now but I never feel like I have anything exciting to say! My life as a mom is pretty non-eventful. I think I like it that way. I've never been good with a busy schedule or craziness. Anyway, the old man that lives behind us has tons of cats. If you asked him if they were his, he'd probably say they are just strays but he feeds them so....if you ask me that is taking responsibility for them. So, there are always tons of cats around, getting in the trash, pooping in the flower beds, having kittens and being inbreeds, so on. Occassionally I see a kitten here or there. The other day the kids and I were playing outside when this little kitten comes out of nowhere. Obviously, from the neighbors'. The kids were so excited, Hannah especially. My first words were "leave it alone!" Hannah's face just dropped. Suddenly I was looking at myself years ago, in Cincinnati, being so sad when mom and dad wouldn't let me pet the stray cats that came to our house. This kitten isn't really a stray but still. I felt so bad for ever cat that ever stopped by our house, looking for a bite to eat, a family that cared. I just wanted to give them a full belly before they moved on. I would get so angry, often going behind my parents' backs to feed them or pet them, just once! Now I can understand why they didn't want me to play with the cats but I also don't see the harm in it. I can remember 2 strays in particular. One I just remember jumping up on the screen part of the storm door and hanging there! The other giving birth to 2 kittens under the porch. I would sneak balogna to her or anything I was eating. So I broke down and let the kids play with the kitten. I am not sorry for my decision at all. The past 2 times we have been in the back yard playing it has come over to them. Most of the cats over there you couldn't get near but this one is friendly. I don't mind it coming over as long as it goes back!! So that's my story tonight.

3 comments:

  1. So, the truth comes out! :)
    You were definitely meant to be a vet!
    I absolutely LOVE the 3rd picture of the kids with their backs to the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures too! You have such a warm heart for animals. :-) Good for your kids and good for that kitty - you made all of their days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO proud of you!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete