Monday, September 20, 2010

Awesome weekend

I can't stop thinking about the great weekend we had in Cincinnati. We started Sat off bright and early and left the house a little before 9. When we got to the outskirts of Cincy, it was lunchtime and we all agreed we had to eat skyline. Then we headed to the Omnimax and all the museums. That was fun for the kids. They had never been. Hannah was nervous in the Omnimax at the very beginning. She was unsure about actually feeling like you are moving with the screen or like you are actually there. After that we went to Gram's house and all went to Frisch's (sp?). After that we went and checked into the hotel and the kids and Brad swam at the pool. I don't think any of us slept well that night. Ryan had started sneezing earlier that day and I knew he was getting sick. So he couldn't breathe all night. I slept with Hannah, which should explain why I didn't sleep well.

Sunday we got up bright and early to get ready for a great day at the church we went to for awhile when we lived in Addyston. We went across the ferry that we used to go across when we lived there. It was neat to show the kids so many different places and things that I had experienced when I was younger. I had only been back to the church once since we left there about 13 yrs ago. I was anxious about going back after so long. I am sooo glad we made it a point to go. I recognized a lot of people but couldn't remember most of their names. Most of the people I knew didn't recognize me but knew I was one of the Days! Ryan refused to go to his SS class. That was fine. I wasn't going to make him go. I knew Hannah's teacher was Mrs. Hensley. I took her in there and when she saw me I think both our faces lit up. I broke down right then. I was just overwhelmed with emotions and her long hug just did me in! I have so many great memories with the Hensleys. I love them so much. Hannah didn't want to stay in class but I knew she'd be fine when I left so I left her there crying and she was fine. Later she was excited to go to Children's church so I knew she had come around. Ryan stayed with us in the church and actually did really well. It was just so great to see so many familiar faces. That church and all those people were like family years ago.

After the morning service we went down the road and ate a great lunch and then went back to the church for the afternoon service. Hannah and Ryan weren't so great after lunch. Everyone was so tired and had been in church for hours by then.

After everything was over and we spent some time talking to old friends we drove past our old house. It was weird. Everything is so run down now. I got to show the kids the elementary school that I went to for 1st grade and half of kindergarten. The playground we played on. All knds of things. I asked Hannah what she thought of my old church and she said it seems fun and she wishes we could live there. For a minute I did wish I lived there again but then I decided to just not stay away so long next time!

3 comments:

  1. AWWW! I didn't know you cried with Mrs. Hensley! She is such a sweet, sweet lady! Always has been! I love the Hensley's very much, too! We learned sooooo much under their leadership! How blessed Addyston Baptist Church was and still is! Because the Pitmans are GREAT people, too! Wish we could have gotten to know them so much better! Especially their kids and you kids. Such blessings this weekend! As you say, almost overwhelmingly so! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- I wish I could have been there this weekend and seen you all. I don't think I've seen you since we were in Buffalo. I'm glad you had a great time in Cincy with your family. I've been by my old house in Tennessee a few times since we've moved and I know exactly what you mean about seeing your old home. It's so WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you came, Liz! It was nice to see you again - because as my Lisa said - we haven't seen you since Buffalo.

    I'm sorry Connie C. wasn't there Sunday. I know that she will be sorry that she missed you and your family. She's just another friend that we all have in common.

    ReplyDelete