Thursday, December 2, 2010

Not gonna win this time.

Since the dr put Ryan on an inhaler instead of having to rent that stupid nebulizer all winter long, I've done pretty well with controlling his "reactive airways" issue. (similar to asthma but not...I know, don't ask) I basically know that whenever he gets a slight cold (tis the season), which is just a very mild runny nose, he is going to start the coughing so I automatically start giving him puffs of his inhaler once or twice a day. Well, it isn't working very well this time around! His cough has been getting progressively worse every night for the past two or three nights, even with doing the inhaler 3 times a day. When the inhaler doesn't work, we have to put him on a steriod which clears it up within days. But the steriod has it's side effects....grouchiness being the main one! Increased hunger and thirst being the next one. Both are worth dealing with for 5 days to get us all sleeping well again. I feel so sorry for the poor guy. He rarely coughs during the day but then spends all night long coughing and gagging. We've tried everything--raising his mattress, humidifier, cough meds, drink mixtures (honey and lemon juice is not good!) and anything else we can try. Anyway, I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dr since he has his 4 yr check up later this month but this is one thing that can't be cleared up on it's own once it gets to the point of wheezing. We'll see how it goes over the next few days. Just pray for my little guy! He always has lots of wheezing issues during the winter.

4 comments:

  1. Poor Ryan. I will definitely pray for him. I hope so much that he grows out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds terrible. I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete