Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What would YOU do?

Uh oh! I've been thinkin' again! =)

What would you do if you were suddenly given the news that you only had a short time left to live? Or even worse, if you were given news that your spouse or child only had a short time to live? Would you beg for God not to take the person away from you? Would you beg not to be taken? I know I would. I don't know about you but as much as I hate this old sinful world, I really want to see my kids grow up. I really want to be their mom forever. I want to be that 80 yr old couple with Brad sitting on the front porch holding hands all day. I don't want Brad to have to explain to our kids why I am gone.

There has been a lot of sickness and pain for a lot of people around me lately. I can't help but wonder what it would be like to loose a family member. I can't help but wonder what I would do, how I would handle it (if I wasn't the one dead, obviously).

All this thinking reminded me of a sermon I heard on the radio one day within the past couple of months. I don't remember the preacher or much about the sermon except this one statement: (in my own words) if there is anything in this world that makes you not want to go to heaven, that thing is more important to you than God or you could say your priorities are messed up. That has stuck with me. I think of it often. I don't want my priorities to be messed up but I have to admit, I can't truthfully say I would rather go to heaven than be here with my family.

This is something I need to work on. Thoughts, my friends?

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm where you are Elisabeth. I'd like to think I'd die and go to heaven immediately, but my heart is definitely wrapped up in people of this world. I would be a lot quicker to go if I knew my little girl wouldn't be left behind without a mother. (By the way, that's my all time number one fear - Kara living without me, or me living without Kara.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is every mother's fear.....that her children have to grow up without her or vise versa. All we can do is live for God today like there will be no tomorrow and be thankful when He wakes us up the next morning! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I'm not ready to leave my kids. I want to see them grow up. Get married. Have babies for me. Etc, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete