Monday, January 14, 2013

Backroads

Do you know what I love? I love that Brad and I have almost been together half of our lives. We are getting ready to celebrate our 14 year dating anniversary, which is the day before Brad turns the big 3-0! All the amazing memories I have are with him. No one else. Yes I have great memories from childhood and friendships but my AMAZING memories...they are with him and him alone.
Rewind at least 12 years. We are young, dating, have no kids and no worries. We went four-wheeler riding a lot back then. This night in particular, there were 3 or 4 four-wheelers in our group. We were planning on going on a longer than usual ride but not to unfamiliar places. There was nothing fishy going on; just a bunch of kids out riding around, seriously causing no trouble. Somewhere along the way, the leader, which was not Brad this time, took a wrong turn. Now, I don't know how many of you have spent much time driving back roads, gravel roads, no lined roads but everything kinda looks the same. So it took awhile, a loooong while, to realize we didn't know where we were. The options were to back track the hour we had already gone or just keep riding til we came out somewhere. If there is one thing that never changes about the back roads, it's that they all come out somewhere! Eventually the gravel road we were on turned into a paved road, then a paved road with lines, then the main road! We had rode our four-wheelers a good 50 miles into a town that takes well over half an hour to get to by car, on the main road. Obviously we had to go back home so we had to find our way back on the same roads we had just traveled. Let's just say it was way past my curfew when we finally got back home!
Fast-forward to tonight...We went to a stranger's house out in the country to pick up a pool table/ping pong table/ air hockey table for the church. On the way home, Brad decided to take a different road home. An hour later, we had no idea where we were, it was dark as could be outside and we had no cell service. Since all back roads come out somewhere, against my better judgement, he kept on driving until we came out! Guess where we ended up? The same place we ended up on those four-wheelers over 10 years ago! By the time we knew where we were, I was sick to my stomach from the twists, turns, ups and downs of those roads! And to make it worse, since Brad knew we had another half an hour trip ahead of us, he did not go slow that part of the trip. I had to close my eyes and lean my head back because I just knew we were going into the hillside, over the embankment or something! But we made it. It only took us 3 hours to do something that should have taken max an hour and a half!
Memories! I love making them with him but I am done with the country roads for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment