Tuesday, January 1, 2013

dreams

I can't believe another year is upon us. Whenever I think about a new year, my mind instantly goes to the year Y2K. Brad and I were only dating then and I remember sitting in his car in a neighboring town, watching fireworks that night. All the while, wondering if anything was going to happen when the clock struck 12. We were so young, full of life and had so many dreams for ourselves. Brad didn't want to have kids until we had been married 10 years. I guess he was dreaming of traveling the world and enjoying our 20's, just the 2 of us....Boring! We both have always wanted to live out in the country, have a few acres and farm animals. I always imagine us when we are 60, sitting in our rocking chairs on the front porch, holding hands and watching our grandkids in the yard. But most of all we just dreamed to be together. And now here we are 13 years later.

Right now I'm really sad that our plans are not always God's plans. Tell me I'm not the only one who has ever thought my ideas might be better!! Of course, I am so happy with my family and the life I have been blessed with. I'm actually really thankful for the hardships I have endured. The big ones involved moving. I still will never understand but I'm so thankful to serve a big God who cares about each of his children and only wants the best for us. I know all those things.

Will I ever get to have a sheep and a duck on lots of acres where there are no noisy railroad tracks or tons of neighbors? I don't know. I hope God has that in my plans somewhere...sooner rather than later would be nice. =) Will Brad be able to retire when he's 60 and hang out on the front porch with me? Probably not the way the economy is looking right now but I hope God wants that for him!

So this year I want to focus more on being truly thankful. Thankful for my blessings, whether they are good or bad in my eyes.

He holds the future in His hands and for that I am thankful! I hope you are too. Our own dreams will let us down. GOd's dreams for us will never let us down. I'm feeling better already!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I have lived a little harder life than that and suffered several disappointments for what I thought my life would look like. I'll leave it at that. But the older we get and the more we focus on God, the more we don't care. Several of my disappointments I can honestly say "are well with my soul," but I don't think I'll ever recover from a couple of them. In the end, God loves me and doesn't mind hearing me whine...again! :)

    ReplyDelete