Monday, April 29, 2013

new project

I have been wanting to work with the bible club kids on memorizing a verse of the bible for each letter of the alphabet for quite some time now. I started once and gave up. With a wide range of kids, some of which can't read yet, it proved too hard to accomplish when I have these kids in class once a week and no help from their parents.

Well, I decided to give it another shot! I was really feeling led to break away from our regular lessons thru the bible to try this again during the summer.

After all, I see these kids just about every single day. Why can't I teach them outside of the class room? My plan is to tell them every day they come over and tell me the verses we are working on correctly, they get a piece of candy.

I have several ideas of how to help them learn 26 verses during the 2 1/2 months they are out of school:
write the verses, or trace them
make up songs
play games with the verses (race to see who can put the verse puzzle together fastest, ect)
explain what each one means
incentives like food and money

But I'm wondering if anyone else has any suggestions for me.

I feel like I have both extremes in my class; one who will have no trouble memorizing, a couple who will not give it their all, and the non readers who will feel defeated from the start. How can I help them all?

My ultimate goal is to have them perform all 26 verses in front of the church in the fall. Pray for me!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great teacher! I wish I had some advice for you, but all I have is thanks - you gave me some good tips for our own memorizing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, sorry I'm just seeing this. I'm really BAD about doing blogs any more!

    Anyway, my suggestion for the non-readers is to give them an abbreviated version of the Bible verse. Just the main phrase that captures the meaning!

    ReplyDelete