Tuesday, May 26, 2009

summer fun


resting after a huge hill













It seems like I haven't wrote anything on here in forever! I have been keeping the kids busy now that Hannah is home with us. That gives them less chances to fight with each other! It is weird that I feel like I only get Hannah now during the summer. I feel like I am divorced from the school and summer is my time to have her. We are trying to make the best of it. Today we went to the park in Eleanor, back by the pool, got a few things at the store then came home, ate lunch and swam in the pool on our porch for a little while. Now they are sleeping and I am doing yet another load of laundry and listening to the thunder rumble off in the distance. Since yesterday was a holiday we took the kids to Kanawha State Forest. None of us had ever been there. We just wanted to look around at the camp sites and hike some while we were there. Just make a day of it. So we picked a trail that looked kinda short on the map and took off. First, though, let me say that the bugs were horrible. They were swarming around our heads, going in our eyes and mouth. Just gross!! But as long as we kept up the pace, it wasn't too bad. The trail we picked ended up being 2 miles. The first mile and a half was basically up hill and the last leg of it downhill (that is the way it felt). It took us nearly 2 hrs and we were all sweating like pigs! Hannah was the leader. She did pretty well at keeping us on the trail and chosing different paths (of course, we knew where we were going too). Brad had to carry Ryan quite a bit. His little legs are still too short and he gets tired easily. Brad picked 7 ticks off him the entire time we were there. I had 2 and Ryan had 1 I think. Hannah didn't get one on her, that I found. So gross!! I can't think what else we have done since I last wrote. I guess nothing excited. This weekend, Brad's mom is keeping the kids and Brad and I are going to Cols to help my sister move and then next weekend we are going to the beach. I can not wait. I am not looking forward to packing the camper up, that is always the worst part. We aren't just taking suitcases. We are taking a mini house that has to be stocked with a week of food for 3 hungry kids (ok, maybe a couple hungry adults too), clothes and bathroom stuff for us all. And on the way back from the beach we are dropping all 3 kids (cousin Michael is coming too) off at grandma and grandpa's in NC for the week so I have to have things for that week too. Actually, I'll be able to empty the camper out at their house!! Anyway, I need to get back to work.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so envious!!!!! You are seriously blessed! My kids do not have grandparents that are willing to take them for 24 hrs, much less a WEEK!!!! I'm so jealous! That is not "Christian like", but I am!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I mean really.....I'm sitting here thinking about this and I know I've probably said this before, but honestly...I told my parents that the kids wanted to spend the night over spring break and they of course said yes. They'd never say no, but it's like this: I dropped them off at 3pm one day and she called at 10am the next! I said "NO! I'm not ready yet!" So she waited till around 2pm and brought them home. What the heck!?!?!?! 23 hours and at least eight of it was sleeping!!!!! Never mind the other set of grandparents who have NEVER had any of our kids stay with them. They'll babysit if we ask, but only on their timeline. Okay, I should shut up now. Sorry. I guess I'm feeling stressed lately and feeling sorry for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope this one week deal turns out ok! I'm a little worried with Ryan since he is little and has not been away from mommy for that length of time! I think Hannah and Michael will be fine! I may be making a run to WV before I'm ready! We will see! I eventually want to keep Kara for a week, too. We will see how she does with her other grandma for a week while her daddy and mommy are cruising Alaska! She is used to spending the night there, though and is just down the street from home. It is too bad I don't live where Kara can spend nights with us once in awhile, too, so she can get used to it. I'm afraid the distance might be a hindrance in keeping her. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so blessed that the kids have granparents who love them and want to keep them. (Not that your kids' granparents don't love them Steph). I've already told Brad's mom that I will be calling her a lot this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad Kara has wonderful grandparents on BOTH sides - I didn't have that growing up. Kara will be staying with my mom for a week next month while we're on our cruise, but I'd love for her to stay with Vicky sometime soon. Maybe Michael and I will take a few day vacation near you at Lake Norman for a "starter" vacation with Mamaw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a good idea, Jessica. I'm sure mom would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this! That sounds like a wonderful idea to me! We will have to plan it!

    ReplyDelete