Monday, March 15, 2010

Day one, over....well, the hardest part, at least!

Today has been a pretty sucessful day. I had originally planned on hanging laundry out on the line but the weather had other plans! It drizzled off and on all day and was pretty chilly. So I did a couple loads and used my trusty drier. I also managed to get all the clothes folded and put away! That usually happens days after the washing part. I also got the kids bathroom cleaned. I ran out of cleaner so I didn't get to clean my bathroom. I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and finally started peeling the wallpaper border in Hannah's room. While doing that, I went 6 yrs down memory lane to when Brad and his g-ma were putting up that border, I was pregnant with Hannah and taking pictures of them. I was 20, newly married and getting ready to have my first child. I'm not afraid to admit that I was scared out of my mind! But I'd never have it any other way. I remember going in that room in the middle of the night, searching high and low for the paci that had been in the crib earlier that had since disappeared. I remember going in while Hannah was supposed to be napping only to find blue kids sun screen all over the floor and her bed. I remember slowly over time, taking out all the baby stuff. First went the crib, which was replaced by the toddler bed. Then went the toddler bed, which was replaced by the twin bed. Then went the changing table and rocking chair, which was replaced by way too many toys! Now we are finishing removing the baby stuff by taking down the net in the corner that holds all her stuffed bears and removing the care bear wallpaper so we can paint the room white. My how fast things change. But I love seeing the girl she is becoming. Her personality is shining thru. I am kinda sad but happy at the same time.

Anyway, I better change the subject now! When I went to pick Hannah up from school she came out looking a little sad. I asked her what was wrong and she said she was just tired. Not long after she finished her snack, I saw her climb into bed. I knew she'd be asleep in no time. I only let her sleep like half an hour. The kids played happily until we ate supper and then we played twister and Hullabaloo. Then I had Hannah write out her numbers and letters and read me two of her books that she brings home from school before I read to them. I read "The Rainbow Fish." There is one sentence right at the end after the rainbow fish finally decides to share his glimmering scales with the other fish that I just love. "His most prized possessions had been given away, yet he was very happy." I used that opportunity to talk to Hannah about what that meant. She said some of her prized possessions are, of course, Teddy, and mommy and daddy. I tried to explain to her that our stuff isn't what makes us happy. It was a nice conversation but I dont think she was fully convinced!

2 comments:

  1. I loved memory lane and the lesson using everyday stuff. That's what we mom's do, right? Use whatever is going on that day to teach something. :-)
    I can't believe you were only 20 when you were pregnant with her and that you want to start all over with another baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me sad! My grandbabies are growing up without me being around as much as I would LOVE to be. :(

    ReplyDelete