Sunday, May 9, 2010

sick hamster

Well, most of you should know by now we bought a hamster yesterday. Turns out she is sick, like I mentioned in my last post. Hamsters can get something called "wet tail". It's a very serious disease they get which causes bad diarrhea and gives them a wet tail.....hence the name. I didn't know that, of course, when we bought her or I wouldn't have! This morning she was very lethargic and Hannah kept saying she hasn't drank anything. So I got on the internet and that's how I found out about the disease. She has gotten progressively worse thru the day and she is just barely alive now. I have started syringe feeding her water and if she makes it thru the night I may buy a jar of baby food to feed her. The kids aren't attached to her and thye know she is dying. I feel really bad for her b/c I know she is suffering but I don't know what to do with her. I called the petstore where we bought her and they said we could return her for a new hamster and they would treat this one and all the hamsters that were in the same cage as her. We aren't taking her back to them, nor are we ever going to buy anything else from them! I basically just wanted to let them know we got a sick one and the others were probably sick too. So I've spent the day worrying about her.

On another note, I had a pretty good mother's day. I missed having my own mother here but I'll be seeing her on Wed. The kids put their handprint on this cute paper with an awesome poem on it. I'll type it at the end of my post. It brings tears to my eyes. Brad and the kids fixed lunch for me and cleaned up afterwards. Then I even treated myself to a nap while the kids were napping! Brad took us out for supper and then it was back to church. Tomorrow Brad goes back to work in Cols. and on Wed mom comes up and we go to Cols for my sister's baby shower on Fri.

Here's the poem:
Sometimes you get discouraged
because I am so small,
and always leave my fingerprints
on furniture and walls.
But every day I'm growing--
I'll be grown some day
and all those tiny handprints
will surely fade away.
So here's a little handprint
just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
when I was very small.
Just another sad reminder that one day I'll be all alone!! =(

1 comment:

  1. I love that poem! I'm glad you had a great mother's day. I did too!

    ReplyDelete