Tuesday, September 20, 2011

starting a business

Every once in awhile I get on a start-my-own-business kick. That first "kick" came many years ago, probably when Hannah was little, or maybe even before she was born. I can't recall now, as she is a whopping 7 yrs old. =) Anyway, back then I was working and wanted to start my own walmart for pets. I was going to call it Everything Pets.

Since then the "kick" has come and gone many a time and I had many a reason not to let the "kick" push me over the edge to my own business. I was working, I had kids, Brad wasn't fully on board, I didn't know even the first step, didn't want to risk taking the first step. I could go on.

If you haven't already gotten the drift of this post....I'm feeling like I want to start my own business again. Only this time, it has nothing to do with animals. It all started when I decided to put some of the kids nicer clothes in a consignment sale that comes through the area a couple times a year. At the same time I was doing some end of season clothes shopping for my kids for next summer.

I rarely ever buy any of my kids' clothes at full price. Everything comes off clearnace racks. So I was thinking, I can't be the only one who is looking for nice clothes at a fraction of the price, especially in this economy. So what if I bought tons of reaaly cute stuff for super cheap and then turned around and sold it for a profit all the while keeping it cheaper than you would pay elsewhere? My sister and I have talked about this before but now I'm really considering all my options.

Brad does not want to invest a lot into this until he knows it will be profitable. I can't say that I blame him! This is when i really wish my s.i.l lived closer! I could really use her brain, time, and organization for this project!!

Since I need to start small and convince my husband (and myself) this could work, I am thinking I should buy a bunch of stuff and then see how much a local consignment shop would give me for it or doing the traveling one again with all new items, or maybe even renting a booth at the flea market. I'm also considering starting an online business or just going through ebay.

All I know is that it has been on my mind a lot lately and I'm really going to look into it.

Opinions, please!!

2 comments:

  1. I posted on facebook. I wish I lived closer too because everything about this sounds like fun to me. This is a world where everything can be done online though, so if this takes off, I think I can still be involved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WORD OF MOUTH, WORD OF MOUTH, WORD OF MOUTH will help tremendously!

    ReplyDelete