Thursday, November 29, 2012

I'm so excited!!

Currently I am sitting on the kitchen floor with Lightning and Smore (the piggies) running around me. I am researching for my Bible Club lessons. I just can't get enough of it! I started a curriculum a while back that is basically a timeline of the Bible. So we are starting at the very beginning and just going thru the Bible. If that isn't exciting enough, the stories (Creation, Cain kills Abel, Noah) are just the backdrop for the greatest story of God's plan of our salvation SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING! I have such a renewed excitement for the things of God's word. I love that nearly everything has an underlying message showing God's love, grace and mercy for us. So often we focus on teaching the "stories" that are in the Bible but neglect the real message. So for the past couple months, I have been witnessing hot and heavy to these kids. SOmetimes I don't think they are nearly as excited as I am or even care what I am saying, whichis typical when you are trying to teach 7 rowdy K-5 kids.

ANyway, I say all that just to give you this info that was refreshed to me this evening while looking for how many years are betweek Adam and Noah. I am pretty sure dad taught on this once but it's been awhile and I seem to have forgotten!


The gap between Adam and Noah is about 1100 years.
There are 10 generations:
•Adam - name means: Man (is)
•Seth - name means: Appointed
•Enosh - name means: Mortal, frail
•Kenan - name means: Sorrow
•Mahalalel - name means: Blessed God, praise God
•Jared - name means: Shall come down
•Enoch - name means: Commencement, teaching
•Methuselah - name means: His death shall bring
•Lamech - name means: Lament, Lamentation, Despairing
•Noah - name means: Comfort or Rest

Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow (but) The blessed God shall come down teaching His death shall bring the despairing comfort or Rest - Sums up the Christian Gospel.

Noah was 600 years old when Methuselah died. Which was same year the Flood started.

*Copied from Bibleview.org

Thank you, GOd, for your hidden messages!

That is all.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about the meaning of the names. That's so cool!

    I did know about the timeline progression. Drawing a bar graph on sheets of paper taped together helped me visualize the long lifespans of these Patriarchs and also how many of the generations Adam might have met. Isn't it also cool that he lived long enough to meet Noah's dad?!

    One little note of trivia that you might find interesting: When God told Noah to build the ark Noah did not even have any sons. God gave Noah 120 years warning but the first son wasn't even born for almost 20 more years.

    I love following the plan of redemption throughout the Old Testament! It sounds like you have a wonderful study going and I'm so happy someone else sees the need to not just present this to children as mere "stories." Keep up the good work!

    P.S. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete